BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, April 2, 2010

The Nausea Chronicles, Entry 9. Or: Instincts Aren't Going to Help Me Pick a Carseat.

3.19.10
10w2d

So the other night, (St. Patrick's Day), David and I went to Babies 'R' Us to look at baby stuff and see what we've gotten ourselves into. We walked in that megaplex of baby whatchamacallits... And decided that we probably should have made the trip before we got pregnant. Holy Hell there's a lot of STUFF for babies. We wandered around the store for a while... both of us completely overwhelmed by how many different things there were, and by how many of those different things do the same thing (crib, bassinet, cradle). Not to mention the variations on the same thing that do different things: crib, mini-crib, convertible crib...

It's ridiculous. How am I supposed to know what works for us if I've never had a baby, don't have any practical experience with babies, and especially how am I supposed to know/anticipate what works for us and OUR baby ahead of time? Bleh.

We did end up buying one thing at Babies 'R' Us, it's essentially a Johnny Jump up, which David and I agree is the best baby toy ever invented. It did worry me just a WEE bit when David said "Oooh, let's get this before they get recalled!" I wonder if he knows what recall really means... especially when talking about things you strap your baby into... I also wonder if David realizes that the baby won't be able to use the Johnny Jump Up for a LONG LONG TIME. Haha

So we're just past 10 weeks along. Slightly less than 30ish to go. That seems like a lot of time to plan and pull baby essentials and such together, but he'll be deployed sometime in May. I'm kinda grumbly that David is going to have to miss the last bit of the second trimester and most/all of the third. I don't want to totally exclude him from the nursery decoration and the decisions about baby furnitures, but unless we get to it before he leaves, that's pretty much how it's going to go.

I still need to decide what to do with the furniture in my extra room/what will be the baby's room. I have a queen sized bed and a double sized futon (not your crappy college dorm type futon) that can't BOTH stay in there. ::sigh::

Currently having a can of peas and then a nice slice of apple pie for lunch. That's a vegetable and a fruit, right?? ;]


· s ·


Patty Beltre Patty B
lol youll figure out what works for you eventually =]

Can i have some apple pie!!!!
March 19 at 11:44am ·

Nadine Gomez Nadine
Darice had a crib with this really cool hammock that hung inside for when the baby was really small. It made the baby feel all cozy. It also had a little heart shaped pocket with a music box that sounded like a heartbeat.
March 19 at 12:05pm ·

Linzy Powers Linzy Powers
Nadine that does sound neat!
March 19 at 12:08pm ·

Sara Ikner Sara I
I gotta be perfectly honest with you, you'll probley spend A LOT of time downstairs, so try looking for an area in there to set stuff up. It doesn't have to stay in there forever of course. But I found myself in the livingroom most of the time with both my kids. It's very easy being next to diapers, and a kitchen.
March 19 at 12:09pm ·

Megan Hardy Megan H
Ooh, possibly dinner at Anna Millers? Can I jump in?
March 19 at 12:27pm ·

Deb Christman Ragsdale Deb R
I completely agree Sara. That's why we never had a use for the changing table. I never wanted to tote my BFA upstairs to change him/her. There was always a tote of stuff downstairs and God knows a receiving blanket and new outfit in the laundry......since laundry became CONSTANT (that never ended BTW).
For us the following were important:
Bassinet (with Ethan we only had a crib, and went out for a bassinet, day 1...the crib was too big and far away....the bassinet portable)
Swing (this with Ryann, since she constantly wanted to be held, and I NEEDED my arms)
Travel System... See More
Receiving blankets (burp cloths are a joke! No baby spits up that little)
March 19 at 1:04pm ·

Sara Ikner Sara I
I used burp rags with Em, but Xoie was really messy with a bottle, so I did use receiving blankets with her, and still do. They get much more of the mess, and you can reuse them a few times before throwing it in the washer.
March 19 at 1:10pm ·

Linzy Powers Linzy Powers
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking bassinet instead of big ol' crib, but I also want to eventually have the baby sleep in it's crib, in it's room, and I feel like they'd grow out of a bassinet too quickly.

I am going to look for furniture for the living room, you're right, that's where we'll probably be most of the time. But what do I need to have upstairs ... See Moreand when do I need to have downstairs? What am I going to want/have to haul up and down every day besides baby? little things are no big deal, but i'm sure as hell not hauling anything big.

Sara, I've noticed that you use the HELL out of your pack 'n' play downstairs... what are things you like about it and things you don't? It seems like the kind of thing that can be used for a couple of years. How old was Xoie when you started using it with her?
March 19 at 1:51pm ·

Linzy Powers Linzy Powers
Sure Megan, you can come if we actually go, hahah I"ll text you if we're gonna pull it together.
March 19 at 1:53pm ·

Beth Farnum Runkel Beth R
you should just come to my house w a pen and paper since i do in fact have a newborn-ish baby at the moment
March 19 at 2:05pm ·

Linzy Powers Linzy Powers
OOOh, that's a good idea Beth! What's your weekend look like?
March 19 at 2:11pm ·

Beth Farnum Runkel Beth Runkel
if the weather is good tomorrow, then i am taking the kiddos to bellows. that is all i have planned so far. i am always home by like 7 to give baths and get them in bed and everything though.
March 19 at 2:15pm ·

Linzy Powers Linzy Powers
ok. I might have to take maggie out to the vet tomorrow, but that's my only MUST DO this weekend (that I can actually remember). I"ll text you before I want to come over to see what you're up to. Thanks SO much for the offer, i appreciate it!
March 19 at 2:26pm ·

Sara Ikner Sara I
I actually used my pak n play 1st, before the crib. Mine has a bassinett attachment, and it's awesome! Most of the graco ones are like that. I got a lot of use out of it, the rule of thumb is take them out when they can roll over and lift up. They aren't that pricey at all. You remember seeing it when I had it in the living room, when she would sleep in it?
March 19 at 3:56pm

No comments:

Post a Comment